The purpose of Gateway is to enable senior students (year 11 and above) to look at careers as they actually are in the workplace. Students who are chosen for the programme need to be committed to it. They will become full members of an organisation’s workforce and will be treated much the same as any other employee, as well as following the school rules as applicable outside the classroom.
Each Gateway placement:
- is a formal arrangement between a school, a student and an employer for a student to spend time learning in an employer’s workplace
- agrees the knowledge and skills the student will gain during that placement
- agrees who will assess the student’s learning and how to confirm they have gained this knowledge and these skills.
- apply and gain skills
- gain insights into working life
- Build a network of contacts